Sunday 10 August 2008
It was Sunday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 10 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 10 August 2008 ?
- Roman festivals - Opalia, festival in honor of Ops
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Laurence
- Prisoner's Justice Day - Canada.
- Independence Day in Ecuador -- Movement began in Quito in 1809. Independence not achieved till May 1822.
- St. Deusdedit
- Ancient Latvia - Labrenca Diena held
- St. Blaan
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 10 August
- Isaac Hayes: American musician, a black singer and the composer of the theme song from the movie "Shaft.
- American singer-songwriter Isaac Hayes (Hot Buttered Soul album, theme from Shaft, voice of Chef from South Park) dies at his home in Memphis, Tennessee, at age 65.
- A propane facility explodes in Toronto overnight and causes a large-scale evacuation, resulting in 2 deaths.
- 2008 Toronto explosions:
- Massive explosions at a propane facility just before 4 a.m. erupt in the Toronto, Canada community of Downsview, resulting in the evacuation of thousands of people. The explosions also caused the closure of Highway 401, Canada's busiest highway, through that area of Toronto. At least 18 people are reported injured, one missing, and one firefighter has died in connection with the incident. (CP via ''The Globe and Mail'')
- Monsoon rains in India kill at least 40 people with flooding heaviest in Andhra Pradesh with flooding in the capital Hyderabad killing 14 people. (BBC News)
- 2008 South Ossetian War:
- Georgian troops are forced to withdraw from Tskhinvali, the capital of South Ossetia by Russian army. (Bloomberg)
- Unnamed US official accuses Russia of launching ballistic missiles on Georgia: ampquotThey actually launched ballistic missile attacks on Georgian territory.ampquot This 'response has been far disproportionate to whatever threat Russia had been citing', he added. (AP via Google News)
- 2008 Summer Olympics:
- Swimmer Michael Phelps of the United States wins a gold medal in the 400 metre individual medley setting a new world record. (AP via ''International Herald Tribune'')
- A number of blasts in China's western Xinjiang province kill at least two people. (Reuters)
- Bolivia holds a Vote of confidence referendum over whether the president, vice president and most prefects should face re-election. Unofficial results indicate that President Evo Morales has won a decisive mandate. (''Los Angeles Times'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?