Saturday 10 December 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, directed by David Fincher, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 10 December 2011!
Which were the important events of 10 December 2011 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 10 December
- The Syrian government gives the city of Homs 72 hours to stop anti-government protests, or face an offensive, raising fears of a massacre against civilians. (''Daily Telegraph'')
- The Pakistani Taliban confirms that it is holding peace talks with the government. (''Pakistan Tribune'')
- One civilian is killed and at least 20 others injured after an Israeli air strike on a militant base in Gaza City, Palestinian medics say. (BBC)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim wins the game of the year at the Spike Video Game Awards. (AP via WVEC)
- A light cargo plane crashes into an elementary school building in the Philippine city of Parañaque with 13 people dead. (Reuters via Yahoo)
- A 6.5 magnitude earthquake hits the Mexican state of Guerrero. It causes three deaths and is felt across several central states. (AP via CBS News)
- New Zealand general election and voting system referendum:
- Official results for the 26 November general election confirm John Key's National Party holding a plurality of the votes and seats. With confidence and supply agreements with ACT New Zealand and United Future confirmed, National forms a minority government with a one-seat majority, returning the Fifth National Government to a second term in office. (TVNZ)
- Full results of the referendum on the voting system confirm that the mixed member proportional voting system, with a majority of the vote, will be kept but will be reviewed. The first past the post voting system gains the most votes for the preferred alternative system of voting. (TVNZ)
- 2011 Russian protests:
- A day of protests begins in cities across Russia against alleged election fraud by Vladimir Putin and his United Russia party, with fifty thousand people marching in Moscow and 25 people arrested in Khabarovsk. (AFP via News Limited)
- Restrictions on Russian media covering the protests are lifted. (BBC)
- At least six people are killed in clashes in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in the aftermath of disputed general elections in which Joseph Kabila was named President. (Al Jazeera)
- Cristina Fernández de Kirchner is sworn as President of Argentina in a second consecutive mandate. (Yahoo)
- Oscar Valdés is named as the new Prime Minister of Peru, after Salomón Lerner Ghitis resigned. (Andina)
- Astronomers in Asia, Australia and North America observe a total lunar eclipse. (BBC)
- Robert Griffin III, the quarterback for the Baylor Bears wins the Heisman Trophy, awarded to the best player in college football. (''New York Times'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 10 December 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?