Friday 10 October 2008
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Whatever You Like by T.I..
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, directed by Mark Herman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Brisingr by Christopher Paolini was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 10 October 2008!
Which were the important events of 10 October 2008 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 10 October
- The 10 October 2008 Orakzai bombing kills 110 and injures 200 more.
- Pirate spokesman threatens to blow up MV Faina, which has been held off the coast of Somalia since September 25, if $20 million is not paid by October 13. (BBC News)
- The president of Peru accepts the resignation of his entire cabinet in response to an oil kickbacks scandal. (AP via Yahoo News)
- Gunmen kill 11 in a bar in Mexico in drug smuggling related violence. (Reuters via Irish Times)
- An Alaskan legislative committee finds that the Governor of Alaska Sarah Palin unlawfully abused her authority in terminating the Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan. (AP via ''New York Times'')
- The Connecticut Supreme Court rules that gay and lesbian couples have the right to marry in Connecticut. (CNN)
- Oxfam says those needing food aid in Ethiopia has risen to 6.4 million, nearly two million more than in June . (Radio Netherlands Worldwide)
- NATO ministers reach a deal after overcoming resistance from France, Italy and Germany by agreeing that only willing countries temporarily ampquotact in concert with the Afghans, against drug facilitiesampquot. (Deutsche Welle)
- Nobel Prize:
- The Nobel peace prize is awarded to former Finnish president Martti Ahtisaari for mediation for the resolution of international conflicts who, as a UN special envoy, guided Namibia to independence in 1990, oversaw the 2005 reconciliation between the government of Indonesia and rebels in Aceh, and mediated a peace deal in Kosovo. (AFP via Yahoo News)
- Former Russian cross country ski champion Alexey Prokurorov dies after he is hit by a car while crossing a road in Vladimir. (RIA Novosti)
- A Swedish appellate court sentences Chilean opera tenor Ernesto ampquotTitoampquot Beltrán to two years and six months in prison for raping an 18-year-old nanny and molesting a 7-year-old girl. (Associated Press)
- North Korea draws nearer to a compromise in a nuclear deal that would prompt Washington to remove it from a list of State Sponsors of Terrorism. (Reuters via Yahoo News)
- The Australian Stock Exchange suffers its greatest fall since the crash of 1987 (The Age).
- The Dow Jones finished down 128 points, after twice reaching down 700 points and below 8000 points. (CNN)
- The United States Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson says that the Bush administration will proceed with plans to buy stocks in United States financial institutions. (AP via ''USA Today'')
- Group of Seven finance ministers who met in Washington with International Monetary Fund chief and World Bank president announce a plan to combat the crisis including the use of ampquotall available toolsampquot to support key institutions and prevent their failure. (NineMSN)
- Leaders of the anti-government protests in Thailand surrender to thepolice. (BBC)
- The Republic of China (Taiwan) celebrates its 97th National Anniversary on Double Ten Day, with its newly elected President Ma Ying-jeou. (''The China Post'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?