Saturday 11 August 2012
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Sparkle, directed by Salim Akil, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 11 August 2012 ?
- Brazil - Student�s Day, Lawyer�s Day, Foundation of the Law Studies in Brazil
- Zimbabwe - Heroes Day
- Taiwan - Valentine's Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Tiburtius
- St. Chromatius
- St. Equitius
- St. Gery/Gaugericus
- St. Susanna
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 11 August
- Syrian civil war:
- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrives in Istanbul for talks on the Syrian civil war with Turkish leaders. (AAP via ''The Daily Telegraph'')
- Gunmen detonate roadside bombs as they clash with police in central Damascus. (ABC)
- Britain plans to give 5-million-pounds worth of equipment to Syrian rebels trying to topple President Bashar Al-Assad, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) says. (SBS)
- One of Syria’s state news agency (SANA) reporters is assassinated at his home in Damascus. (AP via Boston.com)
- Mexican Drug War:
- A total of 12 decomposing bodies are found inside an abandoned vehicle in Zacatecas. (''Global Post'')
- At least five people are killed as suspected gang members go on rampage in drug-violence-ravaged western state of Michoacan. (Al Jazeera)
- An Afghan policeman kills ten of his colleagues at a checkpoint in southwestern Afghanistan. (AP via ''The Wall Street Journal'')
- Two earthquakes, the strongest a magnitude 6.4, strike near the northwestern Iranian cities of Tabriz and Ahar, killing at least 250 people and injuring up to 1,800 others. (BBC)
- At least 52 people are killed and 46 wounded in a bus crash in Himachal Pradesh state of India. (''Hindustan Times'')
- At least 13 people are killed and 15 injured as a result of a lightning strike at a mosque in a remote village in northeast Bangladesh. (''Al Ahram'')
- Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican Party nominee for the United States presidency, names Wisconsin Congressman Paul Ryan as the Republican Party's vice presidential candidate in the presidential election in November. (BBC)
- 2012 Summer Olympics:
- In the association football final, Mexico defeats Brazil 2–1 and wins the gold medal. This victory marks the first medal in association football for Mexico. (''The New York Times'')
- Usain Bolt wins his third gold medal of the 2012 Olympics as he anchors Jamaica's sprint relay team to a world record. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?