Wednesday 11 December 1968
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Derek Bell in Tampa and Mark Dailey in Parma.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Marvin Gaye.
In UK Lily The Pink by The Scaffold was in the top 5 hits.
Hell in the Pacific, directed by John Boorman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Salzburg Connection by Helen MacInnes was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Pauls Party.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 December 1968!
Which were the important events of 11 December 1968 ?
- USA - Admission day for Indiana (19th state, 1816)
- Burkina Faso - Republic Day (1958, Upper Volta became an autonomous republic in the French Community.)
- Argentina - Tango Day, Buenos Aires
- Also see December 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Roman festivals - One of the four Agonalia, this day in honour of Sol Indiges; also the Septimontium festival
- R.C. Saints - pope Damasus I: optional memorial; also Daniel the Stylite (not universal)
- Derek Bell in Tampa: Florida, USA; outfielder (Houston Astros).
- Mark Dailey in Parma: Ohio, USA; 1.5k runner.
- Eula Valdez: Filipina actress, best known for her role in 1980's blockbuster Bagets 1 and 2 and also for playing the iconic "Amor Powers" in Pangako sa ’Yo and "Selina Matias" in the remake of Mula Sa Puso.
- Fabrizio Ravanelli: Italian footballer and manager.
- KECC (now KECY) TV channel 9 in El Centro, CA (CBS) 1st broadcast
- US Soccer Football Association refuses to let NASL disband.
- The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus
- The film ''Oliver!'', based on the hit London and Broadway musical, opens in the U.S. after being released first in England. It goes on to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - Love Child
- Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
- Dion - Abraham, Martin And John
- Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love
- The Beatles - Hey Jude
- Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
- Classics IV - Stormy
- Bobby Vinton - I Love How You Love Me
- Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?