Tuesday 11 January 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Firework by Katy Perry.
TRON: Legacy, directed by Joseph Kosinski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Decision Points by George W. Bush was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 11 January 2011 ?
- Morocco - The Independence manifesto day.
- Japan - Kagami-Biraki (Rice Cakes Festival).
- Feast of the Baptism of Jesus.
- Roman Empire - First day of Carmentalia in honor of Carmenta.
- Nepal - Unity Day.
- Albania - Republic Day (1946).
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 11 January
- Flooding and mudslides in the Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro kills 903.
- 2010–2011 Tunisian protests:
- Fresh protests break out in Tunisia, in the capital Tunis. (Al Jazeera)
- Up to 50 people are killed following protests against rising unemployment in Tunisia. (AFP via SBS)
- Assassination of Masoud Alimohammadi:
- The Iranian government says an Israeli spying network - since dismantled - assassinated the University of Tehran's distinguished professor of elementary particle physics Masoud Alimohammadi an Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson vows to sue. (Xinhua)
- The apparent confession of Majid Jamali-Fash is broadcast on television he says he was hired and trained by Israel before being sent to kill Alimohammadi in Iran. (''The Guardian'')
- Lawyers for Julian Assange warn that he could be killed if he is extradited to the U.S. from Britain Assange draws parallels between the rhetoric of the 2011 Tucson shooting and the language used against him by commentators such as Joe Biden, U.S. Vice President. (AFP)
- One person is killed and seven injured by a gunman on a train in Egypt. (BBC)
- Three Georgian Army soldiers are killed and 13 wounded when a mortar bomb explodes during exercises at a military base near Tbilisi, Georgia. (Reuters)
- At least five people are killed in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, as clashes continue between police and supporters of presidential aspirant Alassane Ouattara. (CNN)
- An Israeli missile attack kills a Palestinian militant while he was riding a motorcycle in the Gaza Strip. (Reuters)
- 18 people are killed by attackers armed with machetes in the villages of Wareng and Bardin Laki in Central Nigeria. (Reuters)
- At least 13 people are killed by floods and mudslides in Sao Paulo state, Brazil. (BBC)
- 2010–2011 Queensland floods:
- The floods in the Australian state of Queensland continue to worsen, with ten people confirmed dead as search and rescue efforts continue to locate dozens of missing people. (SBS)
- The Brisbane River breaks its banks in the state capital Brisbane, prompting flood warnings for its central business district as well as several suburbs. (Reuters)
- Premier of Queensland Anna Bligh declares that three-quarters of the state is a disaster zone. (''The Melbourne Age'')
- Thousands of airline flights are cancelled in the south, Great Lakes and northeast regions of the United States due to storms. (AP via ''Miami Herald'')
- An official investigation in Kyrgzstan into deadly ethnic riots last year reports that local Uzbek leaders were to blame. (24.kg News Agency)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 11 January 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?