Monday 11 July 1955
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Unchained Melody by Jimmy Young was in the top 5 hits.
The Dam Busters, directed by Michael Anderson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 1955!
Which were the important events of 11 July 1955 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
- Balaji Sadasivan: Singaporean neurosurgeon and politician Singaporean Minister of Health (d. 2010).
- Titouan Lamazou: French skipper, draughtsman and writer.
- Sergey Babinov: USSR -- Ice hockey star (1972 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Congress authorizes all US currency to say In God We Trust
- New USAF Academy dedicated at Lowry AFB in Colo with 300 cadets
- New US Air Force Academy dedicated at Lowry Air Force Base in Colorado with 300 cadets.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1955 ?
Top #7 songs in the USA
- Les Paul and Mary Ford - Hummingbird
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Unchained Melody - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Nat King Cole and the Four Knights - If I May
- Something's Gotta Give (orchestra Of Sy Oliver) - Sammy Davis Jr.
- Alan Dale - Sweet And Gentle
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?