Wednesday 11 July 1962
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Roses Are Red (My Love) by Bobby Vinton.
In UK I Can't Stop Loving You by Ray Charles was in the top 5 hits.
Tales of Terror, directed by Roger Corman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1962
while Ship Of Fools by Katherine Anne Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1962.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 1962!
Which were the important events of 11 July 1962 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
- Dale Hellestrae: NFL (Dallas Cowboys).
- Gaetan Duchesne: French Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2007).
- Gaétan Duchesne: Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2007).
- Pauline McLynn: Irish actress and author.
- 1st transatlantic TV transmission via satellite (Telstar I)
- Brothers Hank and Tommie Aaron homer in same inning
- Fred Baldasare is first to swim English Channel underwater (scuba).
- Cosmonaut Micolaev sets record longest space flight - four days.
- First transatlantic satellite television transmission.
- Public Law 87-534 officially renames the San Francisco Mint as the United States Assay Office at San Francisco.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1962 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Vinton - Roses Are Red (My Love)
- David Rose and His Orchestra - The Stripper
- Ray Charles - I Can't Stop Loving You
- The Orlons - The Wah-Watusi
- Brian Hyland - Sealed With A Kiss
- Freddy Cannon - Palisades Park
- Claude King - Wolverton Mountain
- Johnny Tillotson - It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'
- Gravy (For My Mashed Potatoes) - Dee Dee Sharp
- Emilio Pericoli - Al Di La'
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?