Monday 11 July 1966
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Hanky Panky by Tommy James and the Shondells.
In UK Sunny Afternoon by The Kinks was in the top 5 hits.
Torn Curtain, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1966
while Valley Of The Dolls by Jacqueline Susann was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 1966!
Which were the important events of 11 July 1966 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
- Butch Reid: Horse trainer.
- Cheb Mami: Algerian singer, popular for his duets with Sting and Zucchero.
- Nadeem Aslam: Pakistani-English author.
- Debbe Dunning: American actress.
- Greg Grunberg: American actor and producer.
- Kentaro Miura: Japanese author and illustrator
- Mick Molloy: Australian actor producer and screenwriter
- Bo Sanchez: Filipino minister and author
- Rod Strickland: NBA guard (Portland Trail Blazers, Washington Wizards)
- Ricky Warwick: Northern Irish musician (The Almighty and Black Star Riders)
- Mel Appleby: rocker (Mel and Kim - "Coming to America").
- Delmore Schwartz: United States -- Poet / short story writer / critic (Shenandoah).
- The 1966 FIFA World Cup begins in England.
- Indira Gandhi visits Moscow.
- Zambia threatens to leave the Commonwealth of Nations because of British peace overtures to Rhodesia.
- Israeli and Syrian jet fighters clash over the Jordan River.
- Richard Speck murders 8 student nurses in their Chicago dormitory. He is arrested on July 17.
- Gwynfor Evans becomes member of Parliament for Carmarthen, the first Plaid Cymru MP in the UK.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1966 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Troggs - Wild Thing
- Tommy James and the Shondells - Hanky Panky
- The Beatles - Paperback Writer
- Frank Sinatra - Strangers In The Night
- Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs - Lil' Red Riding Hood
- The Cyrkle - Red Rubber Ball
- Dusty Springfield - You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
- Paul Revere and the Raiders - Hungry
- The Association - Along Comes Mary
- Syndicate Of Sound - Little Girl
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?