Friday 11 July 2008
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.
The Dark Knight, directed by Christopher Nolan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 2008!
Which were the important events of 11 July 2008 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 11 July
- Michael DeBakey: American surgeon and inventor (Born 1908).
- Crude oil on the New York Mercantile Exchange hits a record high of US$147.27 per barrel.
- In California, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp takes over mortgage lender IndyMac Bancorp, second largest banking failure (US$32 billion in assets) in U.S. history, and the fifth U.S. bank to fail this year. The insurance firm estimates the cost of the failure at between $4 billion and $8 billion.
- Chinese restaurants in Beijing are told not to serve dog meat during 2008 Summer Olympics, but can continue to serve Donkey meat (''The Times of India'')
- At a donors' conference in Brussels, 1.2 billion euros (1.9 billion U.S. dollars) are pledged to Kosovo's socio-economic development. (Xinhua)
- Wildfires force 10,000 Californians to evacuate their houses in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, with one man dying in Butte County after refusing to evacuate. (Bloomberg)
- The Prime Minister of Lebanon Fuad Siniora forms a 30-member national government. (AFP via Google News)
- The President of South Korea Lee Myung-bak proposes resumption of stalled summit talks with North Korea. (AP via ''The International Herald Tribune'')
- The first global study of coral reefs finds that one-third of coral-building species face extinction. (BBC News)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?