Wednesday 11 July 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
The Dark Knight Rises, directed by Christopher Nolan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 July 2012!
Which were the important events of 11 July 2012 ?
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday
- Feast Day of Saint Benedict (founder of the Benedictine Order)
- United States: Free Slurpee at 7-Eleven (most locations do this - get a free 7.11oz Slurpee on 7-11).
- Bonfire night in Northern Ireland, precursor to The_Twelfth
- Feast Day of Saint Olga (first Russian Saint)
- United Nations - World Population Day
- Ireland - National Day of Commemoration held on nearest Sunday to this date (see Irish calendar).
- China - China National Maritime Day
- Flanders, region in Belgium (not a public holiday) - Flemish Day (1302 Battle of the Golden Spurs)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 11 July
- Mexican Drug War: The Mexican newspaper ''El Mañana'' from the northern city of Nuevo Laredo will stop reporting on Mexico's drug-related violence after a second grenade attack at its installations. (''Huffington Post'')
- Syrian uprising (2011–present):
- 56 people are reportedly killed by the Syrian army, including a Red Crescent worker. (Naharnet)
- Syria's ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf al Fares, defects. (Reuters)
- Syrian opposition figures arrive in Russia for talks with the Russian government. (Ghana Broadcasting Corporation)
- United Nations peacekeepers are redeployed to the Congolese city of Goma to protect it from March 23 Movement rebels. (UPI)
- A suicide bombing at a police academy in the Yemeni capital of Sana'a kills at least 20 people. (BBC)
- An ambush by suspected Abu Sayyaf rebels kills 6 rubber plantation workers and injures a further 22 in the southern Philippines. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- 520 men and boys killed in the Srebrenica massacre in 1995 are buried in Potočari, Bosnia and Herzegovina. (IOL)
- Artists sign a letter accusing the European Commission of ampquotbreaking promisesampquot on the matter of missing royalties. (BBC)
- A rare giant panda born naturally in captivity at a Tokyo zoo dies after only six days, prompting widespread mourning in Japan. (''National Post'')
- Bolivia revokes a mining concession to Canada's South American Silver Corporation after violent protests by Quechua people. (Al Jazeera)
- Japan lodges a formal protest with China after the presence of the latter's patrol boats near the disputed Senkaku Islands. (BBC)
- ASEAN nations and China fail to agree on a code of conduct designed to ease tensions over territorial disputes in the South China Sea. (Al Jazeera)
- The Canadian government warns Iran not to use its embassy in Ottawa to recruit expatriates in Canada to serve the Islamic Republic’s interests. (''National Post'')
- Court documents reveal former FIFA president João Havelange had accepted bribes upwards of 1.5m Swiss francs. (BBC)
- Lee Sang-deuk, the elder brother of South Korean president Lee Myung-bak, is arrested in Seoul on bribery charges. (AP via ''The Washington Post'')
- British police widen their phone-hacking inquiry with new arrests of journalists from newspapers not owned by News Corporation, which previously has been the focus of the investigation. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- Russia's lower parliament approves a bill creating a list of blacklisted websites, amid fears of censorship. (Russia Today)
- Chinese authorities order internet video providers to prescreen all videos before making them available. (''Times of India'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in July 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?