Monday 11 November 1918
It was Monday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Greatest Thing in Life, directed by D.W. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1918
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1918.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1918!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1918 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Luigi Santucci: Italian writer, novelist, historian, playwright and humorist.
- Jürg Baur: German composer of classical music.
- Jurg Baur: Composer.
- Andrew Evans: American military, Major General in the U.S.
- Stubby Kaye: Actor (Guys & Dolls, Sweet Charity), dies at 79.
- Victor Adler: Austrian neurologist / foreign minister.
- Armistice Day-WW I ends (at 11 AM on Western Front)
- Dutch SDAP leader Troelstra announces revolution
- Emperor Charles I of Austria relinquishes power.
- World War I: Germany signs an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car in the forest of Compiegne, France. The fighting officially ends at 11:00 (The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month) and this is annually honoured with a two-minute silence. The war officially ends on the signing of the Treaty of Versailles on June 28th 1919.
- Jozef Pi?sudski comes to Warsaw and assumes supreme military power in Poland. Poland regains its independence, celebrated each year on this day.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1918 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- I'm Always Chasing Rainbows - Charles Harrison
- Everything is Peaches Down in Georgia - American Quartet
- When You Sang Hush-A-Bye to Me - Sterling Trio
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?