Wednesday 11 November 1942, Veteran's Day
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include William Matthews and Diane Wolkstein.
Gentleman Jim, directed by Raoul Walsh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1942.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1942!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1942 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- William Matthews: American poet and teacher.
- Diane Wolkstein: Amerikan folklorist and author of children's books, served as New York City's official storyteller from 1968-1971.
- Jonathan Fenby: English journalist and businessman.
- Roy Fredericks: Guyanese-American cricketer and politician (d. 2000).
- 745 French Jews deported to Auschwitz
- During WWII Germany completes their occupation of France
- Jews in Free Zone of France ordered to wear yellow star of David
- Lieutenant General Kumakashi Harada becomes Japanese commander on Java
- World War II: Nazi Germany completes its occupation of France.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1942 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- There Are Such Things - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Vocal Frank Sinatra & Pied Pipers)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?