Saturday 11 November 1944
It was Saturday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Dead or Alive, directed by Elmer Clifton, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1944!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1944 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Jennifer Bate: English organist.
- Chris Smither: American singer-songwriter and guitarist.
- Kemal Sunal: Turkish actor producer and screenwriter (d. 2000).
- Lena Frazier: American contemporary artist and sculptress, successful in her field.
- Jesse Colin Young in New York: USA; rocker (The Youngbloods - "Soul of a City Boy").
- Keith Barish: American businessman, a restaurateur and film/television producer. He is the founder of a trendy chain of restaurants named "Planet Hollywood." He is a producer of "Sophie's Choice" (1982) and "9 1/2 Weeks" (1986). In 1991 he co-founded Planet Hollywood; he gave up his position as Chairman of its Board of Directors in 1998; a year later he left the board altogether.
- New York Rangers set NHL record of 25 games without a win (0-21-4).
- Dr. jur. Erich Gostl, a member of the Waffen SS, is presented with the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, to recognise extreme battlefield bravery, after losing his face and eyes during the Battle of Normandy.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 11 November 1944 and get them!