Tuesday 11 September 2012
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Whistle by Flo Rida.
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 September 2012!
Which were the important events of 11 September 2012 ?
- 18 ampndash A series of protests is directed against United States diplomatic missions worldwide, as well as diplomatic missions of Germany, Switzerland and United Kingdom in some countries, after the screening of a Youtube trailer for the film ''Innocence of Muslims''. In Libya the attacks result in the deaths of the United States Ambassador to Libya J. Christopher Stevens, and 3 other Americans.
- A car bomb targeting Yemen's defence minister, Mohammed Nasser Ahmed, kills at least twelve people, including seven bodyguards of the minister and five civilians in Sana. (''The New York Times'')
- In Somalia, more than fifty Al-Shabaab fighters are killed as African Union Kenyan peacekeepers, and the Somali National Army, continue their march towards the port city of Kismayo. (Xinhua)
- War in Afghanistan (2001-present):
- Taliban bombard Bagram Air Base. They kill three people and destroy a helicopter, wounding three personnel on board. (''USA Today'')
- A suicide bombing in Herat province kills six people including the bomber. (''Khaama'')
- A suicide bombing in front of a police station in the western Istanbul suburb of Sultangazi kills a policeman, the bomber, and injures several others. The leftist group Dev Sol claims responsibility. (BBC)
- Three people are found shot dead in a car near Corte, on the French island of Corsica. (''The Telegraph'')
- Two people are shot dead at close range in the center of Milan. Hours later, another shooting in plain view shakes the financial capital of Italy. (Reuters)
- Moody's warns the United States that it faces a downgrade in its credit rating before 2014 if the government fails to act on managing its debt. (''Forbes'')
- Japan's Minister of State for Financial Services Tadahiro Matsushita is found dead in his home in Tokyo. His death has been ruled a suicide and may further complicate matters for the ruling party which has been battered by internal divisions and parliamentary gridlock. Finance minister Jun Azumi has been named to succeed Matsushita. (Daily Yomiuri)
- At least 29 people are killed and 11 injured after a bus runs off a mountain highway in western Nepal. (AP via NineMSN)
- Senkaku Islands dispute:
- China dispatches two Chinese Marine Surveillance patrol boats to the islands in order to ampquotsafeguard its sovereigntyampquot over the territory. (Xinhua)
- Japan formally nationalizes three of the disputed Senkaku Islands. (Mainichi Shimbun)
- The Chief Cabinet Secretary of Japan, Osamu Fujimura, said transferring the islands' ownership from an individual to the state government should pose no problem to any other country or territory. (RTTNews)
- Taiwan recalls its envoy to Japan in protest. (CNA via ''Focus Taiwan'')
- Japan announces that Shinichi Nishimiya will succeed Uichiro Niwa. (Asahi Shimbun)
- Newly declassified documents confirm that the United States deliberately ignored Soviet involvement in the 1940 Katyn massacre, despite credible evidence to the contrary provided no later than 1943. While until 1945 this choice could be explained as World War II grand strategy, it is not known why the White House remained silent on the matter until now. (AP via ''New York Daily News'')
- Sources tell the ''Frankfurter Allgemeine'' newspaper that the German military spying agency MAD tried to recruit Uwe Mundlos in 1995. Mundlos refused to cooperate and subsequently participated in ten terrorist murders with the nazi group NSU. He died in 2011 police say he committed suicide. (''Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in September 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 11 September 2012 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?