Tuesday 12 April 1955
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to The Ballad Of Davy Crockett by Bill Hayes.
In UK Give Me Your Word by Tennessee Ernie Ford was in the top 5 hits.
Marty, directed by Delbert Mann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The View From Pompey'S Head by Hamilton Basso was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 April 1955!
Which were the important events of 12 April 1955 ?
- Saint Julius I
- Saint Zeno of Verona
- Saint Erkembode
- Saint Damian
- Yuri's Night, an international celebration of the first human in space, Yuri Gagarin; in Russia (and formerly in USSR), the Cosmonautics Day.
- The Roman holiday of Cerealia begins.
- Jean-Louis Aubert: French singer of pop group Telephone, he went on a solo career after the four members of the band decided to stop.
- Fabian Hamilton: English graphic designer engineer and politician.
- 1st game in Kansas City, Athletics beat Detroit Tigers, 6-2
- Salk polio vaccine safe and effective; 4 billion dimes marched
- Researchers announce results of year-long polio vaccine trials, that the vaccine is safe and effective.
- The polio vaccine, developed by Dr. Jonas Salk, is declared safe and effective.
- The Salk polio vaccine, having passed large-scale trials earlier in the United States, receives full approval by the FDA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1955 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?