Sunday 12 April 1959
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Venus by Frankie Avalon.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 April 1959!
Which were the important events of 12 April 1959 ?
- Saint Julius I
- Saint Zeno of Verona
- Saint Erkembode
- Saint Damian
- Yuri's Night, an international celebration of the first human in space, Yuri Gagarin; in Russia (and formerly in USSR), the Cosmonautics Day.
- The Roman holiday of Cerealia begins.
- Howard Stableford: English radio and television host.
- Tracy Tormé: American screenwriter and producer.
- Elissa Leeds in New York City: New York, USA; actress (Cissy - Dorothy).
- Anna-Lena Brundin: Swedish stand-up comedian and songwriter-performer of country music.
- France Observator reports torture practice by French army in Algeria
- 13th Tony Awards: J B and Redhead win.
- Betsy Rawls wins LPGA Babe Didrikson-Zaharias Golf Open.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Thomas Wayne - Tragedy
- Ricky Nelson - Never Be Anyone Else But You
- The Coasters - Charlie Brown
- David Seville - Alvin's Harmonica
- Ricky Nelson - It's Late
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?