Monday 12 April 1971
It was Monday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Joy To The World by Three Dog Night.
In UK Hot Love by T Rex was in the top 5 hits.
Summer of '42, directed by Robert Mulligan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Passions Of The Mind by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 April 1971!
Which were the important events of 12 April 1971 ?
- Saint Julius I
- Saint Zeno of Verona
- Saint Erkembode
- Saint Damian
- Yuri's Night, an international celebration of the first human in space, Yuri Gagarin; in Russia (and formerly in USSR), the Cosmonautics Day.
- The Roman holiday of Cerealia begins.
- Shannen Doherty: American actress who began showbiz at 12 on "Little House on the Prairie," 1982-1983.
- Shannen Doherty in Memphis: Tennessee, USA; actress (Little House on the Prairie, Beverly Hills 90210).
- Tyrone Chatman: Canadian Football League linebacker (British Columbia Lions).
- Fernando Meligeni: in Argentina; tennis star.
- Kent Manderville in Edmonton: Alberta, USA; NHL left wing (Edmonton Oilers).
- Christophe Moreau: French road racing cyclist, nicknamed Le chien (French - "The Dog"). For many years Moreau was the primary French contender for the general classification in the Tour de France: he finished in the top 12 in the GC five times and finished the race as best Frenchman in 2000, 2003, 2004 and 2005. He also enjoyed success in the Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré, winning the race overall in 2001 and 2007.
- Nicholas Brendon: American actor and producer
- Eyal Golan: Israeli singer
- Nick Hexum: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (311)
- Palestinians retreat from Amman to the north of Jordan.
- The People's Republic of Bangladesh forms, under Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, at Mujibnagor.
- Libya, Syria and Egypt sign an agreement to form a confederation.
- The government of Bangladesh flees to India.
- Sierra Leone becomes a republic.
- The Soviet Union launches ''Salyut 1''.
- Followers of Charles Manson, the Manson Family, are sentenced to the gas chamber.
- ''Swann v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education'': The Supreme Court of the United States rules unanimously that busing of students may be ordered to achieve racial desegregation.
- Cambodian Prime Minister Lon Nol resigns, but remains effectively in power until the next elections.
- Siaka Stevens is elected the first president of Sierra Leone.
- François Duvalier, president of Haiti, dies his son Jean-Claude Duvalier follows him as president-for-life.
- ''Soyuz 10'' docks with ''Salyut 1''.
- Five hundred thousand people in Washington, DC and 125,000 in San Francisco march in protest against the Vietnam War.
- A tsunami 85 m high rises over the Ryukyu Islands in Japan. It throws a 750-ton block of coral 2.5nbspkm inland.
- Todor Zhivkov is re-elected as the leader of the Bulgarian Communist Party.
- Franz Jonas is re-elected as chancellor of Austria.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1971 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Three Dog Night - Joy To The World
- The Temptations - Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
- Janis Joplin - Me And Bobby McGee
- Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
- Tom Jones - She's A Lady
- Ocean - Put Your Hand In The Hand
- Carpenters - For All We Know
- Paul McCartney - Another Day
- The Partridge Family - Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted
- Brewer & Shipley - One Toke Over The Line
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 12 April 1971 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?