Thursday 12 April 2012
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of April people in US were listening to We Are Young by Fun..
The Three Stooges, directed by Bobby Farrelly, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 April 2012!
Which were the important events of 12 April 2012 ?
- Saint Julius I
- Saint Zeno of Verona
- Saint Erkembode
- Saint Damian
- Yuri's Night, an international celebration of the first human in space, Yuri Gagarin; in Russia (and formerly in USSR), the Cosmonautics Day.
- The Roman holiday of Cerealia begins.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 12 April
- Mutinous soldiers in Guinea-Bissau stage a coup d'état and take control of the capital city, Bissau. They arrest interim President Raimundo Pereira and leading presidential candidate Carlos Gomes Júnior in the midst of a presidential election campaign.ref name=quotapquot
- A ceasefire to military operations in the 2011–2012 Syrian uprising comes into effect. (AFP via ''Melbourne Herald-Sun'')
- The Bodleian Libraries of the University of Oxford and the Vatican Library announce they will make 1.5 million pages of ancient texts available on the Internet. (Vatican Radio)
- Transport chiefs in London ban a bus advert which suggested gay people could be cured. (''Evening Standard'')
- Sony Corp announces plans to cut 10,000 jobs around the world to reduce costs and return the company to profitability. (Reuters)
- Google says that first quarter earnings rose over 24%, with net profit increasing to $8.14 billion. (Google)
- Japan and the Philippines are on alert for the North Korean rocket launch over the next few days. (AFP via Google News)
- The Philippines sends another ship to join the current ship it has involved in a confrontation with two Chinese surveillance ships on the South China Sea, although both sides claim to be committed to a peaceful solution. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- Indian Maoists release Italian hostage Paolo Bosusco after holding him for nearly a month. (NDTV)
- Eighteen people are sentenced to life imprisonment in India for burning people alive as part of the 2002 Gujarat violence. (IBN Live)
- Protesters clash with riot police in the city of Chongqing in southwestern China during a protest over economic grievances from the redistricting of Wansheng District. (AP via Yahoo!)
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is given two posts in the Workers' Party of Korea previously held by his father Kim Jong-Il, including chairman of the party's Central Military Commission and a standing member of the Politburo. (BBC)
- Dioncounda Traore is sworn in as the interim President of Mali, marking a transition back to civilian rule following last month's coup. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Fun. - We Are Young
- Justin Bieber - Boyfriend
- Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know
- The Wanted - Glad You Came
- Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
- Nicki Minaj - Starships
- Flo Rida - Wild Ones
- Katy Perry - Part Of Me
- One Direction - What Makes You Beautiful
- Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?