Wednesday 12 August 1914
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Call of the North, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1914.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 12 August 1914 ?
- [Hendrik] Jan Bakker: Dutch resistance fighter / journalist (Parool).
- Luis Mariano: Spanish Basque singer, his family settled in Bordeaux.
- Gerd Buchdahl: German-English philosopher and author (d. 2001).
- Ruth Lowe: Canadian pianist and composer (I'll Never Smile Again) (d. 1981).
- John Philip Holland: Irish submarine designer (Born 1840).
- Cavalery battle at Halen, Belgium (Battle der Zilveren Helmen)
- German 16.5 / 12 guns fires on forts round Luik
- Russian troops take East-Prussia and occupy Marggrabowa
- World War I: the United Kingdom declares war on Austria-Hungary; the countries of the British Empire follow suit.
- Battle of Haelen: Belgian troops repulse the Germans.
- The Panama Canal is inaugurated with the passage of the steamship USS ''Ancon''.
- Mexican Revolution: Venustiano Carranza's troops under general Alvaro Obregon enter Mexico City.
- Edward Elgar's ''Sospiri'', a moving adagio for strings and harp, is first performed in London.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Puppchen - Prince's Orchestra
- Ave Maria - John McCormack
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?