Friday 12 August 1949
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Anthony Akerman and Fernando Collor de Mello.
I Was a Male War Bride, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching The Magic Cottage.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 August 1949!
Which were the important events of 12 August 1949 ?
- Anthony Akerman: South Africa -- Director.
- Fernando Collor de Mello: Brazilian politician with an advantaged political background and a strong image comparable to President Kennedy, sportive and aggressive.
- Mark Knopfler: Scottish musician, singer and songwriter, who was the main force behind the group "Dire Straits.
- Julien Lepers: French TV host, the presenter on "Questions of Champions" game show, and composer, son of architect and jazzman Raymond Lepers and singer Maria Rémusat.
- Jean-Robert Pitte: French geographer, a specialist in landscape and gastronomy, president of the Geographical Society, president of 'Le repas gastronomique des Français,' and head of 'Livres en vignes' (Books in the vineyards) festival in Château du Clos de Vougeot.
- Panagiotis Chinofotis: Greek admiral and politician
- Lou Martin: Northern Irish pianist songwriter and producer (d. 2012)
- Alex Naumik: Lithuanian-Norwegian singer-songwriter and producer (d. 2013)
- Rick Ridgeway: American mountaineer and photographer
- 16th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Philadelphia 38, All-Stars 0 (93,780)
- The Fourth Geneva Convention is agreed to.
- The Salvatore Giuliano Gang explodes mines under a police barracks outside Palermo, Sicily.
- A military coup in Syria ousts the president.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Someday - Vaughn Monroe & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?