Friday 12 August 1955
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing, directed by Henry King, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 August 1955!
Which were the important events of 12 August 1955 ?
- Heintje [Hendrik Simons]: Dutch singer (Mama).
- Heintje Simons: Dutch singer and actor.
- Terry Taylor: American professional wrestler.
- Ann M Martin: American children's writer.
- Ann Martin: Young Adult Author.
- Thomas Mann: German writer, the author of novels, plays and essays.
- 22nd NFL Chicago All-Star Game: All-Stars 30, Cleveland 27 (75,000)
- President Eisenhower raises minimum wage from 75 cents to $1 an hour
- WPBT TV channel 2 in Miami, Florida (PBS) begins broadcasting
- US President Dwight Eisenhower raises minimum wage from US$0.75 to $1 an hour.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1955 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Unchained Melody - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 12 August 1955 and get them!