Wednesday 12 August 1959
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lynette Woodard and Philippe Le Guillou.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to A Big Hunk O' Love by Elvis Presley.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Oh Boy!.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 12 August 1959 ?
- Lynette Woodard: Wichita, Kansas -- (1984 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Philippe Le Guillou: French educator and writer.
- Kerry Boustead: Australian rugby player.
- Amanda Redman: English actress.
- Mike O'Neill: Irish-American baseball player and manager (d. 1959).
- 1st ship firing of a Polaris missile, Observation Island
- Progressive Party under John Steytler forms in South Africa
- First ship-firing of a Polaris missile, Observation Island.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 12 August 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Fabian - Tiger
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?