Tuesday 12 August 2008
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Rocco Piazza .
In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mummy Forensics.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Battle of the Bands or Celebrity Sports Showdown.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 12 August 2008 ?
- Christie Allen: English-born Australian pop singer (Born 1954).
- On August 12, 2008, a class action lawsuit was filed against Facebook, Blockbuster Inc., Overstock.com, Fandango, Hotwire.com, GameFly, Zappos.com, and any additional ampquotJohn Doeampquot corporations that activated Facebook Beacon when they released their common member's personal information to their Facebook user friends without their consent through the Facebook Beacon program. The lawsuit alleges the release of the information was a violation of the Video Privacy Protection Act,
- A missile strike on a suspected militant training camp in South Waziristan in Pakistan kills at least nine people. (AP via ''Jerusalem Post''
- Mark David Chapman is denied parole for a fifth time for the murder of ex-Beatle John Lennon in 1980. (AP via Google News)
- The United States Department of the Treasury imposes sanctions on five Iranian companies for assisting the development of the nuclear program of Iran. (Reuters)
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- President of Russia Dmitry Medvedev announced that the operation of Russian forces in South Ossetia is completed. He added that 'The aggressor has been punished, having sustained considerable losses. Its armed forces have been disorganised'. Medvedev also ordered the Russian Ministry of Defence to consider awarding the peacekeepers and military personnel that have 'showed their best' during the operation. (BBC News)
- Georgian Prime Minister Lado Gurgenidze says that Russian jets are still targeting civilians. (Reuters)
- BP shuts down two more oil and gas pipelines in Georgia 'as a precaution'. (AFP via Google News)
- However, both South Ossetian and Abkhazian Presidents Eduard Kokoity and Sergei Bagapsh claim that it is Georgia, namely Mikheil Saakashvili, who organized the ethnic cleansing against the civilian population in the breakaway republic of South Ossetia during the conflict. The South Ossetian leader added ampquotno talks are possible with state criminalsampquot and that ampquotthey must be trialed, not talked to.ampquot (Novy Region)
- U.S. Senator and Republican presidential candidate John McCain speaks against Russia’s military operations in Georgia, saying: ampquotI know I speak for every American when I say today we are all Georgians.ampquot (Reuters)
- Floods and landslides associated with Tropical Storm Kammuri kill 28 people in southwest China and force 11,000 people from their homes. (AFP via ABC News Australia)
- Michael Phelps of the United States wins his third gold medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics in the 200-meter freestyle and sets a new world record and the 200-meter butterfly in qualifications. (''The New York Times'')
- The Texas Rangers and the Boston Red Sox tie a modern MLB record scoring a combined 36 runs. The Boston Red Sox won the game 19-17.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 12 August 2008
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?