Thursday 12 December 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Shirley Englehorn and Dionne Warwick in East Orange.
Santa Fe Trail, directed by Michael Curtiz, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 December 1940!
Which were the important events of 12 December 1940 ?
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Mas�'il (Questions) - First day of the 15th month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Also see December 12 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Kenya - Jamhuri Day: Independence Day (from Britain, 1963)
- Shirley Englehorn: LPGA golfer.
- Dionne Warwick in East Orange: New Jersey, USA; singer (Solid Gold, "Way to San Jose").
- Frances Willard: American magician.
- André Bercoff: Franco-Lebanese journalist and writer, who has written under the pseudonyms of Philippe de Commines, Philippe Mura, Catherine Médicis and Caton.
- Arnaldo Jabor: Brazilian film director, screenwriter and producer of Lebanese descent.
- Dionne Warwick: American singer and recording artist with many hits to her credit. She won a Grammy on 3/12/1969, another on 3/16/1971 and received a Grammy for Pop and Blues on 2/27/1980. Since "Don’t Make Me Over" climbed the charts during early 1963, Warwick has made nearly 60 records.
- Sharad Pawar: Indian politician Indian Minister of Agriculture
- British troops conquer Sidi el-Barrani.
- World War II: Approximately 70 people are killed in the Marples Hotel, Fitzalan Square, Sheffield as a result of a German air raid.
- WWII British destroyers sink an Italian submarine off Bardia.
- Royal Navy Fairey Swordfish based on Malta bomb Tripoli.
- Plutonium is first synthesized in the laboratory by a team led by Glenn T. Seaborg and Edwin McMillan at the University of California, Berkeley.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1940 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Dream Valley - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?