Tuesday 12 December 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Dale Sanderson and Eduardo Castellanos.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Please Mr. Postman by The Marvelettes.
In UK Tower Of Strength by Frankie Vaughan was in the top 5 hits.
The Children's Hour, directed by William Wyler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Franny And Zooey by J.D. Salinger was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Comedy Playhouse.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 December 1961!
Which were the important events of 12 December 1961 ?
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Mas�'il (Questions) - First day of the 15th month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Also see December 12 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Kenya - Jamhuri Day: Independence Day (from Britain, 1963)
- Dale Sanderson: Canadian Football League guard (Hamilton Tiger Cats).
- Eduardo Castellanos: Venezuelan poet and astrologer.
- Daniel O'Donnell: Irish singer, television presenter and philanthropist.
- Andrey Perlov: Russian race walker.
- Daiun Sogaku Harada Zen: founder of Sanbo Kyodan lineage, dies at age 91.
- Ham radio satellite Oscar 1 launched with military Discoverer 36.
- Martin Luther King Jr and 700 demonstrators arrested in Albany, Georgia, USA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman
- Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
- James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World
- Chubby Checker - The Twist
- Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By
- The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Bobby Vee - Run To Him
- Ferrante & Teicher - Tonight
- Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums
- Neil Sedaka - Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?