Sunday 12 February 2012
It was Sunday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of February people in US were listening to Set Fire To The Rain by Adele.
Safe House, directed by Daniel Espinosa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Descending.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Mario Tennis Open or Men in Black : Alien Crisis.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 February 2012!
Which were the important events of 12 February 2012 ?
- United States - Lincoln's Birthday (traditionally).
- Saint Alexis of Moscow
- Saint Benedict of Aniane
- Red Hand Day
- Darwin Day.
- National Freedom to Marry Day (unofficial).
- Georgia Day in the U.S. state of Georgia.
- Saint Damian of Alexandria
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 12 February
- Syrian uprising:
- The Arab League calls for a peace keeping force to be sent to Syria to halt violence. (Al-Jazeera)
- There is a lull in the bombardment of Homs allowing some families to escape and for protesters to go to the streets. (Reuters)
- The head of the suspended Arab League's observer mission in Syria, Mohammed Ahmed Mustafa al-Dabi, resigns. (Emirates 24/7)
- Turkish warplanes carry out strikes against PKK hideouts in northern Iraq. (IOL)
- Greek bailout and protests:
- The Hellenic Parliament votes to approve austerity measures demanded in return for another bailout from the eurozone. (CNN)
- Police in Greece fire tear gas at protesters in Athens including composer Mikis Theodorakis and World War II resistance leader and leftist politician Manolis Glezos. (Athens News)
- Up to 60 police officers are injured in fighting and at least ten buildings are burnt down as a minority of the tens of thousands of protesters turn violent. (BBC)
- The historic Attikon cinema in Athens is set on fire following demonstrations over the latest round of economic austerity measures proposed by the government. (''Ekathimerini'')
- Comrade Artemio, leader of the Shining Path Peruvian rebel movement, is captured in the Huallaga Valley area by the Army and National Police. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- Grammy Awards:
- The 54th Grammy Awards for music are held at the Staples Center in the U.S. city of Los Angeles, with some of the show being re-worked to commemorate Whitney Houston. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- British singer Adele wins the awards for Song of the Year and Record of the Year for ampquotRolling in the Deepampquot, as well as the Album of the Year for ''21''. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- The British Academy of Film and Television Arts Film Awards is held in London with ''The Artist'' winning the Award for best film. (''The Australian'')
- The Australian town of Walgett, New South Wales, is evacuated due to flood waters. (AAP via ''Melbourne Age'')
- A senior aide to the President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Joseph Kabila, is killed, and the Finance Minister Matata Ponyo Mapon is injured in a plane crash near the town of Bukavu. (Reuters)
- The International Air Transport Association calls for the United Nations to intervene in the dispute between the People's Republic of China and the European Union over airlines' involvement in the EU's carbon tax scheme for airlines. (Reuters)
- A teenage Tibetan Buddhist nun Tenzin Choedon dies after setting herself on fire in protest against Chinese rule of Tibet in Sichuan province. (''The Telegraph'')
- Iran rebukes Azerbaijan for allegedly assisting Israel's Mossad secret service in operations against it. (''Haaretz'')
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 12 February 2012
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?