Friday 12 January 1917
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Great Expectations, directed by Robert G. Vignola, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
while Mr. Britling Sees It Through by H. G. Wells was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 January 1917!
Which were the important events of 12 January 1917 ?
- In USA's Monk, the 4th season episode of MR. MONK AND MRS. MONK (#T-2351) indicates that Monk spilt something on January 12, 1999 during an earthquake. He stated "Earthquakes count, I don't make the rules."
- In the television series The X-Files, the third season episode Syzygy, has two girls, Terri & Magi, both born on January 12, 1979. Strange astrological properties with 3+ celestial bodies in alignment gives them great power which they use to kill off several of their high school classmates on their birthday in 1996.
- In 2001: A Space Odyssey, the fictional computer HAL becomes operational on January 12. In the movie by Stanley Kubrick, HAL was "born" in 1992, while in the book by Arthur C. Clarke the same event occurs in 1997.
- Tanzania - Zanzibar Revolution Day
- Maharishi Yogi: Indian yogi and leader of the School of Transcendental Meditation, internationally known for supplicants who included at one time the Beatles George Harrison and John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Mike Love of the Beach Boys and Mia Farrow (who reported disillusionment when she left).
- Walter Hendl: American pianist composer and conductor (d. 2007).
- Jimmy Skinner: Canadian ice hockey player and coach (d. 2007).
- Ilya Prigogine: Russian-born Belgian physical chemist who received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1977 for contributions to nonequilibrium thermodynamics.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1917 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Babes in the Wood - Harry Macdonough & Lucy Isabelle Marsh
- You Were Just Made to Order for Me - Marguerite Farrell & M.J. O'Connell
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in January 1917?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 12 January 1917 and get them!