Wednesday 12 January 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Firework by Katy Perry.
TRON: Legacy, directed by Joseph Kosinski, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Decision Points by George W. Bush was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 January 2011!
Which were the important events of 12 January 2011 ?
- In USA's Monk, the 4th season episode of MR. MONK AND MRS. MONK (#T-2351) indicates that Monk spilt something on January 12, 1999 during an earthquake. He stated "Earthquakes count, I don't make the rules."
- In the television series The X-Files, the third season episode Syzygy, has two girls, Terri & Magi, both born on January 12, 1979. Strange astrological properties with 3+ celestial bodies in alignment gives them great power which they use to kill off several of their high school classmates on their birthday in 1996.
- In 2001: A Space Odyssey, the fictional computer HAL becomes operational on January 12. In the movie by Stanley Kubrick, HAL was "born" in 1992, while in the book by Arthur C. Clarke the same event occurs in 1997.
- Tanzania - Zanzibar Revolution Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 12 January
- Attacks by men armed with rifles and machetes kill 19 people in three villages, including Kuru Station and Fagawon in central Nigeria. (IOL)
- At least four people are killed in a suicide bombing in the Afghan capital Kabul. (BBC)
- The Jamaican Coast Guard intercepts a Honduran vessel fishing near Pedro Cays, killing the captain and wounding two crewmen. (AP via ABC)
- Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany, reaffirms that country's support for the euro in a joint press conference with the Prime Minister of Italy, Silvio Berlusconi. (Bloomberg)
- Australian floods
- The floods in Queensland, Australia, worsen further with 20,000 properties in the capital Brisbane expected to be flooded and 4,000 homes flooded in the nearby city of Ipswich. (ABC News Australia)
- The death toll from the floods reaches at least 12 with at least 67 people missing. (News Limited)
- At least 18 people are killed and one million are made homeless following flooding in Sri Lanka. (Sify India)
- Floods in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, kill more than 250 people. (Reuters)
- Haitians commemorate the first anniversary of the 2010 earthquake. (AP via Yahoo! News)
- The South Korean Ministry for Reunification advises that it has reopened Red Cross communications with North Korea over the Panmunjom Border Area. (Yonhap)
- Palestinian militants on the Gaza Strip tell Hamas that they will cease firing rockets at Israel in order to prevent a Israel Defense Forces offensive. (Reuters)
- 2010–2011 Tunisian protests:
- Tunisia's Interior Minister Rafik Belhaj Kacem is sacked by President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, who also orders the release of most people detained during recent unrest. (BBC)
- Tunisian troops are deployed for the first time in the capital Tunis. (Al Jazeera)
- The Sudan People's Liberation Army/Movement estimates that turnout in the Southern Sudanese independence referendum has passed the 60% threshold for the result to be declared valid. (Al Jazeera)
- Lebanon's Government led by Prime Minister Saad Hariri collapses following the withdrawal of Hezbollah. (''The Australian'')
- The President of the United States Barack Obama addresses the nation about the 2011 Tucson shooting following a visit to Representative Gabrielle Giffords in hospital. (Associated Press)
- Burma has passed a law enacting conscription for both males and females. (Mizzima)
- The World Health Organization launches a plan to prevent the global spread of an artemisinin-resistant malaria. (Reuters)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 12 January 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?