Wednesday 12 July 1944
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bill McCollum and Denise Nicholas in Detroit.
The Canterville Ghost, directed by Jules Dassin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 July 1944!
Which were the important events of 12 July 1944 ?
- Sveti Petar (St. Peter)
- Sunset and sunrise occur along Manhattan's street grid centerline
- Newfoundland - Orangemen's Day
- Northern Ireland - Battle of the Boyne Day (also known as Orangemen's Day or the Twelfth, see Irish calendar).
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday (2nd day)
- The "center pivot irrigation day" of Colorado
- Kiribati - Independence Day
- RainMaker Day - Salem, OR.
- Spo TomT and Prfncipe - Independence Day
- Bill McCollum: (Rep-R-Florida, 1981- ).
- Denise Nicholas in Detroit: Michigan, USA; actress (Room 222, Baby I'm Back).
- Bernard Faivre d'Arcier: French civil administrator, a former theatre/show director for the Ministry of Culture and the Avignon Festival.
- Jean-François Jenny-Clark: French double bass player estimated as one of the most important bass players of European jazz.
- Simon Blackburn: English philosopher and academic.
- Delia Ephron: American author playwright and screenwriter
- Kent Finell: Swedish radio host (d. 2013)
- Denise Nicholas: American actress screenwriter and activist
- Pat Woodell: American actress and singer (d. 2015)
- Theodore Roosevelt: American political and business leader, a veteran of both the world wars, who was awarded the Medal of Honor.
- Theresienstadt Family camp disbands, with 4,000 people gased
- US government recognizes authority of General De Gaulle
- Laurence Olivier's film ''Henry V'', based on Shakespeare's play, opens in London. It is the most acclaimed and the most successful movie version of a Shakespeare play made up to that time, and the first in Technicolor. Olivier both stars and directs, as Kenneth Branagh was to do over forty years later in his successful remake.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?