Thursday 12 July 2012
It was Thursday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
The Dark Knight Rises, directed by Christopher Nolan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades of Grey by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 July 2012!
Which were the important events of 12 July 2012 ?
- Sveti Petar (St. Peter)
- Sunset and sunrise occur along Manhattan's street grid centerline
- Newfoundland - Orangemen's Day
- Northern Ireland - Battle of the Boyne Day (also known as Orangemen's Day or the Twelfth, see Irish calendar).
- Mongolia - Naadam Holiday (2nd day)
- The "center pivot irrigation day" of Colorado
- Kiribati - Independence Day
- RainMaker Day - Salem, OR.
- Spo TomT and Prfncipe - Independence Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 12 July
- Syrian uprising (2011-present):
- At least 200 people are reportedly killed by the Syrian army in the Syrian village of Tremseh, in Hama province. (BBC)
- Gunmen kill nine police officers and injure others in an overnight raid in the Pakistani city of Lahore. (AP)
- Tongan Crown Prince Tupouto'a 'Ulukalala marries Sinaitakala Fakafanua in a wedding ceremony in Nukuʻalofa. The marriage, the first for a Crown Prince of Tonga in 65 years, sparks controversy as the couple are second cousins. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- English rock group, The Rolling Stones, celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of their first performance at the Marquee Club in Oxford Street, London. (''Herald Sun'')
- French automaker PSA Peugeot Citroen announces that it will cut 8000 jobs from its domestic operations as a result of a downturn in Europe. (AAP via News Limited)
- Wells Fargo decides to pay a $175 million settlement in a subprime mortgage compensation case. (''Chicago Tribune'')
- The US Treasury announces that sanctions on Iran due to its nuclear program are further tightened. (BBC)
- At least nine mountaineers are killed and eight injured in an avalanche on Mont Maudit near Mont Blanc in the French Alps. (''Daily Mail'')
- An oil tanker in Okogbe, Rivers State, Nigeria, explodes after crashing, leaving around 90-115 dead. (BBC)
- Buildings shake in Kabul as tremors from magnitude 5.8 earthquake in the Hindu Kush region are felt. (Shanghai Daily)
- Heavy rain leads to flash floods and mudslides and causes at least 15 deaths and 11 more people missing in southern Japan. (''Washington Post'')
- The two men on trial for the murder of Michaela McAreavey are found not guilty by a court in Mauritius. (Sky News)
- Former FBI Director Louis Freeh's report into the Penn State sex abuse scandal is released, alleging that late head football coach Joe Paterno and other school officials covered up child sexual abuse by former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky. (CNN)
- A 38-year-old seller of antiquities attacks and beheads two people in the Chilean town of Lolol (El Mercurio)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in July 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?