Thursday 12 June 2008
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Lollipop by Lil Wayne.
Wanted, directed by Timur Bekmambetov, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while The Hollow by Nora Roberts was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Moon Machines.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Barbie Horse Adventures: Riding Camp or Beatmania IIDX 16: Empress.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 June 2008!
Which were the important events of 12 June 2008 ?
- Blessed Ternan, bishop, confessor [ GTZ: Scotland]
- Blessed John of Sahagun, hermit, confessor
- Roman Empire ? sixth day of the Vestalia in honor of Vesta
- Philippines ? Araw ng Kalayaan (Independence Day) 1898
- Russian Federation ? Russia Day (Independence Day) 1990
- United Kingdom ? Trooping the Colour (Military celebration of the monarch's official birthday held in London on the second Saturday of June)
- Brazil ? Dia dos Namorados (Lover's Day; similar to St. Valentine's)
- World Day Against Child Labor
- Saints Basilides, Quirinus, Nabor and Nazarius (and Celsus), martyrs
- Saint Pharaildis, virgin [GTZ: Artois]
- Blessed Eskill, bishop, martyr [ GTZ: Scandinavia]
- Saint Ursinus, bishop of Bourges, confessor (Translation day) [GTZ: Rouen]
- Saint Leo III died 816
- Saint Odulf of Oirschot died 865
- Blessed Guido (died 1250)
- Saints Nabor and Nazarius, martyrs [GTZ: St. Avold]
- Blessed Onuphrius, monk
- Saint Rufus, bishop, martyr [WTS (Bruges)]
- Saint Cunera [HCC]
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 12 June
- Derek Tapscott: Welsh footballer (Born 1932).
- Representative Ron Paul of Texas withdraws his candidacy for President of the US.
- Wildfires in northern California lead to the evacuation of residents in Paradise, California and Bonny Doon, California. (AP via ''The Guardian'')
- Ecuadorean police arrest four men including three Colombians on suspicion of plotting an assassination of the President of Ecuador Rafael Correa. (AP via ''International Herald Tribune'')
- Tendai Biti, the Secretary of the Movement for Democratic Change in Zimbabwe, is arrested in Harare. (AFP and ABC News Australia)
- Four thousand homes in Cedar Rapids, Iowa are evacuated as the Cedar River floods due to heavy rain in recent days. (CNN)
- The Salmonella outbreak in the United States caused by tainted tomatoes continues to worsen with 228 victims in 23 states. (Bloomberg)
- The United States Secretary of Defense Robert Gates invites Pakistan and Afghanistan to participate in an investigation of the Gora Prai airstrike. (AP via Forbes)
- Cuban hurdler Dayron Robles sets a world record of 12.87 seconds for the 110 metre hurdles at a Golden Spike meet in Ostrava, Czech Republic. (Associated Press)
- More than 80 countries and international aid organisations meet in Paris to develop a strategy for delivering billions of dollars in aid to Afghanistan. (AFP via ''The Australian'')
- The People's Republic of China and Taiwan begin their first formal talks in a decade on improving cross-strait relations. (AFP)
- In ''Boumediene v. Bush'', the U.S. Supreme Court holds that foreign terrorism suspects held at Guantánamo Bay have constitutional rights to challenge their detention there in US courts. (''The New York Times'')
- Washington Capitals forward Alexander Ovechkin wins the Hart Memorial Trophy as most valuable player for the National Hockey League 2007-2008 season as well as the Art Ross Trophy for most points and the Rocket Richard Trophy for top goal scorer. (TSN)
- Bill C-61, An Act to amend the Copyright Act, is tabled in the second session of the 39th Canadian Parliament by Minister of Industry Jim Prentice, in efforts to better comply to the WIPO treaty. (CBC News)
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?