Friday 12 May 1950
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Caged, directed by John Cromwell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1950.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 12 May 1950!
Which were the important events of 12 May 1950 ?
- Saint Epiphanius
- Saint Domitilla
- Day of Finnishness in Finland; Commemoration day of J. V. Snellman.
- International Nurses Day
- Saint Modoald
- Buddhism in Sri Lanka, Thailand - Visakha Bucha. (2006) 
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2005: the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Blessed Imelda
- Saint Pancras (died 304), second of the Ice Saints
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saints Achilleus and Nereus
- Saint Joan of Portugal
- Bruce Boxleitner in Elgin: Illinois, USA; actor (Scarecrow and Mrs King, Babylon 5).
- Shozo Fujii: judo champion.
- Renate Stecher-Meissner: in the German Democratic Republic; sprinter (Olympics-gold-1972).
- Billy Squier in Wellesley Hills: Massachusetts, USA; heavy metal guitarist ("Don't Say No").
- Jocko Marcellino: rocker (Sha Na Na).
- Steve Baskerville: American broadcaster, a former Channel 3 weatherman from 1978-1984, and CBS Morning News Anchor from 1984-1986. He recently became a host on a talk show.
- Bruce Boxleitner: American actor, tall and handsome, best known for the TV series "Scarecrow and Mrs. King," 1983. He began acting after high school and his good looks and friendly manner helped him get his foot in the door to start with small roles. In 1972 he moved to Los Angeles where he played bit parts on various series. He appeared in the TV movie "The MaCahans," 1976 and it's sequel, "How the West Was Won," 1977. His role was more prominent in the "The Last Convertible," 1979 and "East of Eden," 1981, lead
- Gabriel Byrne: Irish actor, film director, film producer, writer, cultural ambassador and audiobook narrator.
- Helena Kennedy: Scottish barrister, writer and broadcaster known for her powers of persuasion. Kennedy has appeared in the TV dramas, "The Heart of the Matter" and "Blind Justice," with some episodes based on her own legal experiences. From 1991 her legal career had a few landmark cases with representation for the Guildford Four and Myra Hindley.
- Billy Squier: American singer and songwriter, best known for his 1981 hit "The Stroke".
- Darius Milhauds opera Bolivar, premieres in Paris
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Hoop-Dee-Doo - Kay Starr
- Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra - Roses
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?