Wednesday 13 August 2008
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 13 August 2008 ?
- International Lefthanders Day
- St. Wigbert
- RC saints - Pontianus and Hippolytus, Radegunde (help against the pox), Cassianus of Imola (patron of shorthand-writers)
- In Brasil, Friday 13 August (agosto) is considered to be especially filled with sorrow (desgosto)
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 6 saints: St. Hippolytus
- St. Cassian
- St. John Berchmans
- St. John Bosco
- St. Radegund
- Roman festivals - Vertumnalias in honor of Vertumnus, and also Diana, on the Aventine hill
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 13 August
- At the Beijing Olympics, American swimmer Michael Phelps wins his 10th and 11th career gold medals, in men's 200-metre butterfly and 4x200 freestyle relay in world record 6:58.56). Phelps is now the record holder of most career Olympic gold medals.
- Bill Gwatney, the current state Chairman of the Democratic Party of Arkansas is shot and killed at the Party headquarters in Little Rock, Arkansas. The man who shot Gwatney is later shot dead by police during a pursuit. (CNN)
- Princess Lilian of Sweden is taken to hospital after falling and breaking her hip. (''The Local'')
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- The Russian President Dmitry Medvedev announces a national day of mourning in Russia in connection with the Battle of Tskhinvali and the death of a large number of Russian citizens there. Georgian Orthodox Church Patriarch Ilia II announced the national day of mourning for soldiers and civilians who died during the 2008 South Ossetia war. (Newsgeorgia via NitaPress)
- Journalists may again enter the South Ossetian capital Tskhinvali as the city is mostly secured after Georgian retreat. The articles give new evidence of what the city looks like and what people in Tskhinvali think of the recent events. (AP)
- No reports of fighting after ceasefire in the war between Georgia and Russia holds. (Guardian)
- Sky's Jason Farrell claims he witnessed Russian armor moving at the outskirts of the Georgian town of Gori. (Sky News)
- An unnamed 'senior U.S. NATO official' says that USA may withdraw from a major NATO naval exercise with Russia that is to begin on Friday. (Fox News)
- President George W Bush has said the United States will use military aircraft and naval forces to deliver aid to Georgia. (BBC News)
- President Bush sends United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to Paris and then Tbilisi. (AP via Google News)
- A Fokker F27-500 cargo aircraft operated by Fly540 Logistics Ltd. crashes in Somalia. Three people died. (Bloomberg)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?