Monday 13 August 2012
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
Sparkle, directed by Salim Akil, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 13 August 2012 ?
- International Lefthanders Day
- St. Wigbert
- RC saints - Pontianus and Hippolytus, Radegunde (help against the pox), Cassianus of Imola (patron of shorthand-writers)
- In Brasil, Friday 13 August (agosto) is considered to be especially filled with sorrow (desgosto)
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 6 saints: St. Hippolytus
- St. Cassian
- St. John Berchmans
- St. John Bosco
- St. Radegund
- Roman festivals - Vertumnalias in honor of Vertumnus, and also Diana, on the Aventine hill
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 13 August
- Syrian civil war:
- Syrian forces kill at least 10 people at the entrance of Jdeidet Artouz district of Damascus according to opposition sources. (CNN)
- Opposition forces in eastern Syria report downing a fighter jet the Syrian government denies this claim, stating that the plane crashed due to technical problems. (''The Telegraph'')
- Danny Al Baaj, Syria’s representative at the UN Human Rights Council, defects to Switzerland. (''Arab News'')
- WikiLeaks revelations and attack:
- The Wikileaks website is targeted by a sustained online attack. (Sky News)
- American publisher and editor Helen Gurley Brown, editor-in-chief of ''Cosmopolitan'' magazine and a leader of 1960s sexual revolution dies at the age of 90 in New York City. (Reuters via ABC News Australia)
- Two new potential pyramid sites are discovered in Egypt. (''Daily Mail'')
- Outgoing BBC Director-General Mark Thompson is appointed CEO of ''The New York Times'', taking up his role in November. (BBC)
- Iran announces that the death toll from the 2012 Ahar-Varzaqan earthquakes is 306 with 3,037 injured. (AP via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- The Vatican orders Pope Benedict XVI's former butler to stand trial for his alleged involvement in leaking allegations of corruption in the Holy See. (Reuters)
- Three people are found dead in a burning car in a parking lot in Maine, in the United States. (AP via ABC)
- 2012 Summer Olympics:
- Boxing gold medallist Katie Taylor arrives back in her hometown Bray, where thousands of people flock to the seafront to see her. (''Irish Independent'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 13 August 2012 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?