Wednesday 13 December 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Clive Brain and Eric Flynn.
Gulliver's Travels, directed by Dave Fleischer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 1939!
Which were the important events of 13 December 1939 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
Famous Birthdays:13 December
- Battle at La Plata - 3 British cruisers vs. German Graf Spee
- World War II: Battle of the River Plate : Captain Hans Langsdorff of the German Deutschland class cruiser (pocket battleship) Admiral Graf Spee engages with Royal Navy cruisers HMS Exeter, HMS Ajax and HMNZS Achilles.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1939 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Indian Summer - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- The Little Red Fox - Kay Kyser & His Orchestra
- Stop! It's Wonderful - Orrin Tucker & His Orchestra
- Dick Jurgens & His Orchestra - Careless
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?