Monday 13 December 1948
It was Monday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
3 Godfathers, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 1948!
Which were the important events of 13 December 1948 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
- Ted Nugent in Detroit: Michigan, USA; guitarist ("Cat Scratch Fever", "Damn Yankees").
- Jeff "Skunk": Baxter; guitarist (Steely Dan - "Deacon Blues").
- Brian Wilson: Scottish politician, a Labour Member of Parliament returned at General Election 6/11/1987.
- Jeff Baxter: American guitarist songwriter and producer (Steely Dan and The Doobie Brothers).
- Lillian Board: England, United Kingdom -- 400m (1968 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Ted Nugent: Guitarist
- Bill Flynn: South African actor and comedian, perhaps best known for playing Tjokkie, a character that he portrayed as a wise-cracking, beer drinking rugby union fan. Flynn had won 13 best actor awards, including the Dublin Critics and Golden Entertainer Awards.
- Lester Bangs: American writer, a critic of rock musicians and their work, whose first piece appeared in "Rolling Stone" magazine on April 5, 1969. He was known for his acerbic criticism and barbs aimed at the mighty and the fallen.
- Kathy Garver in Long Beach: California, USA; actress (Cissy - Family Affair).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 13 December 1948 and get them!