Tuesday 13 December 1949
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Walter "Clyde" Owen and Tom Verlaine [Miller] in Mount Morris.
Sands of Iwo Jima, directed by Allan Dwan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching College of Musical Knowledge.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 1949!
Which were the important events of 13 December 1949 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
- Walter "Clyde" Owen: Rocker.
- Tom Verlaine [Miller] in Mount Morris: New Jersey, USA; rock vocalist (Television).
- Randy Owen in Fort Payne: Alabama, USA; country music star (Alabama - "Mountain Music").
- Paula Wilcox: English actress.
- Robert Lindsay: British actor of comedy and drama in stage and TV, winning an Olivier Award in 1987 and a Tony Award in June 1987.
- R MacAvoy: American computer programmer and author
- Randy Owen: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Alabama)
- Luc Sala: Dutch businessman and author
- AL votes down proposal to revive spitball
- The Knesset votes to move the capital of Israel to Jerusalem.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 13 December 1949
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas - Yogi Yorgesson with The Johnny Duffy Trio
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?