Sunday 13 December 1970
It was Sunday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to The Tears Of A Clown by Smokey Robinson.
In UK I Hear You Knocking by Dave Edmunds was in the top 5 hits.
Rio Lobo, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1970
while Islands In The Stream by Ernest Hemingway was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 1970!
Which were the important events of 13 December 1970 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
- Bart Johnson: TV Actor.
- Tonja Buford-Bailey: American hurdler and coach.
- Eoin Jess: Scottish footballer.
- Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner: Austrian mountaineer.
- Elizabeth Patricia Reilly in North Providence: Rhode Island, USA; Miss America-Rhode Island (1996).
- Tonja Yevette Buford-Bailey in Dayton: Ohio, USA; 400 metre hurdler (Olympics-bronze-1996).
- George Van Os Jr in Houston: Texas, USA; team handball left back (Olympics-1996).
- Greg Chappell scores 108 on Test debut versus England at the WACA.
- The government of Poland announces food price increases. Riots and looting lead to a bloody confrontation between the rioters and the government on December 15, and martial law December 17–22.
- The USSR's ''Venera 7'' becomes the first spacecraft to land successfully on Venus and transmit data back to Earth.
- The South Korean ferry ''Namyong Ho'' capsizes off Korean Strait 308 people are killed.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1970 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Santana - Black Magic Woman
- Chicago - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
- Jackson 5 - I'll Be There
- George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
- The Partridge Family - I Think I Love You
- Smokey Robinson - The Tears Of A Clown
- The 5th Dimension - One Less Bell To Answer
- Brian Hyland - Gypsy Woman
- Badfinger - No Matter What
- The Guess Who - Share The Land
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 13 December 1970 and get them!