Tuesday 13 December 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, directed by David Fincher, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 December 2011!
Which were the important events of 13 December 2011 ?
- Roman festivals - Tellus was worshipped in the district Carinae at the Esquiline Hill, and a lectisternium or table was spread for Ceres.
- R.C. Saints - memorial of Saint Lucy
- Also see December 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In the Julian calendar before the Gregorian reform, this was the shortest day and longest night, and widely celebrated as such
- In the Irish calendar the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following the Feast of Saint Lucy were observed as Quarter tense.
- Malta - Republic Day (since 1974)
- St. Lucia's Day in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 13 December
- Pakistan police rescues 50 boys from a dungeon in Karachi, Pakistan. Police reports say that the dungeon was equipped with shackles and hooks. The prisoners say they were beaten and threatened and that, if they had tried to escape, they would have been forced to join Jihad militants. (The Telegraph)
- A gunman opens fire and throws explosives into a crowd in an attack in the Belgian city of Liège. (BBC)
- At least 5,000 people are now estimated to have been killed in Syria's uprising, amid continuing violence. (''Daily Nation Kenya'')
- Three Thai soldiers are killed by a land mine near the border with Cambodia. (UPI)
- ''Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3'' becomes the fastest selling entertainment product of all time passing $1bn in sales in 16 days. (''The Guardian'')
- A school bus crashes in Jiangsu, China, killing 15 children. (Xinhua)
- The Bridge to Russky Island, a giant cable-stayed bridge currently under construction south of Vladivostok, Russia, catches fire due to safety violations during welding. (Russia Today)
- Political tension continues in Papua New Guinea with former Prime Minister Sir Michael Somare expected to be sworn in again following a ruling by the Supreme Court and incumbent PM Peter O'Neill refusing to stand aside. (BBC)
- Iran has turned down the United States request to return a RQ-170 that was captured recently by Iranian forces after it crash landed in the country. Iranian officials report that they are extracting data from the aircraft. Iranian officials stated the drone was brought down by a cyber attack. (Voice of America)
- The United States House of Representatives passes a bill extending a payroll tax extension containing another bill expediting the Keystone XL pipeline between Canada and Texas. (Reuters)
- According to researchers, in two separate experiments carried out at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, indications of the Higgs boson may have been detected. (BBC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?