Sunday 13 March 2011
It was Sunday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Born This Way by Lady GaGa.
Detention, directed by Joseph Kahn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 March 2011!
Which were the important events of 13 March 2011 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 13 March
- Owsley Stanley: Sound Engineer for The Grateful Dead and renowned LSD manufacturer (Born 1935).
- Arab Spring
- 2011 Libyan civil war: Rebels are forced from the town of Brega by troops loyal to Muammar Gaddafi but later claim to have recaptured it. (Al-Jazeera)
- A Yemeni protestor dies of gunshot wounds as demonstrators gather in the capital Sana'a for a new round of protests. (Reuters)
- Tear gas is fired on anti-government protesters blocking a highway near the Bahrain Financial Harbour. (Al Jazeera)
- Donald Elmer, the Chief Executive of a small U.S.–based pharmaceutical company, Koronis, said that he is looking to raise money through London's Alternative Investment Market, thus enabling the next stage of clinical tests for his company's anti-HIV product, KP-1461. (Reuters)
- 2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami
- Onagawa Nuclear Power Plant: A state of emergency is declared by the Tohoku Electric Power Company. The alert was declared as radioactivity readings exceeding allowed levels in the area surrounding the plant although this later returns to normal. (BBC)
- Cooling systems fail at three reactors in the Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant following Friday's earthquake
- The death toll is expected to exceed 10,000. (''Malaysia Star'')
- The Government of Japan evacuates over 200,000 people as fear of nuclear contamination from the power plants grow. (''New York Times'')
- The United States Navy ships arrive to assist with relief efforts. (CNN)
- The Japan Meteorological Agency upgrades the magnitude of the earthquake to 9.0. (AP via WKBT)
- 2011 Canterbury earthquake
- Bob Parker, the mayor of the New Zealand city of Christchurch, estimates that the city centre is still ampquotvery, very dangerousampquot with up to a third of the buildings needing to be demolished. (TV New Zealand)
- The Shinmoedake volcano in Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan explodes again. (Times of South Africa)
- A wind and rainstorm in the Pacific Northwest of the United States results in the loss of power to 114,000 in Portland, Oregon. (KATU)
- West Bank
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemns the Palestinian Itamar attack that stabbed and murdered an Israeli family of five. (Ynetnews)
- Israel approves the construction of hundreds of homes for Israeli settlers in the West Bank in response to a Palestinian attack. (JTA)
- Two Chinese dissidents Xu Wei, a former reporter, and Jin Haike, a writer, are released from prison after serving a ten–year sentence. (''Washington Post'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2011 ?
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?