Monday 14 August 1939
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Wizard of Oz, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Have a look at the old newspapers from 14 August 1939 and get them!
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
John, the Soldier of Vengeance
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 14 August 1939 ?
- Paraguay - Flag Day
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of several saints: St. Eusebius of Rome
- United States - National Code talkers Day
- Pakistan - Independence Day
- RC saints - Maximilian Kolbe (Polish Franciscan priest martyred by Nazis in 1941)
- Morocco - Allegiance of Oued Eddahab or Rfo de Oro
- United States - National Creamsicles Day
See other famous people born on 14 August
- 1st night games at Comiskey Park (White Sox 5, Browns 2)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 1939?
- Life: Baby actress
- Time: TIME Magazine Cover: General Maurice Gamelin -- Aug. 14, 1939
- Life: FSAs Paul McNutt
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
The Pulitzer Prize-winning epic of the Great Depression, a book that galvanized—and sometimes outraged—millions of readers. First published in 1939, Steinbeck’s Pulitzer Prize-winning epic of the Great Depression chronicles the Dust Bowl migration of the 1930s and tells the story ...
This number-one bestselling novel is based on the true story of one of the most notorious murder cases in French history. The heroine, Henriette Deluzy-Desportes, governess to the children of the Duc de Praslin, found herself strangely drawn to her ...
With these words, the reader is ushered into an isolated gray stone mansion on the windswept Cornish coast, as the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter recalls the chilling events that transpired as she began her new life as the young ...
- A rediscovery. WICKFORD POINT follows "The Late George Apley as the second of Marquand's acclaimed and bestselling novels that Back Bay has restored to print.-
Tell the world why 14 August 1939 is such a special date for you!