Tuesday 14 August 1945
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry, directed by Robert Siodmak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1945.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 August 1945!
Which were the important events of 14 August 1945 ?
- Paraguay - Flag Day
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of several saints: St. Eusebius of Rome
- United States - National Code talkers Day
- Pakistan - Independence Day
- RC saints - Maximilian Kolbe (Polish Franciscan priest martyred by Nazis in 1941)
- Morocco - Allegiance of Oued Eddahab or Rfo de Oro
- United States - National Creamsicles Day
- Steve Martin: American comedian and actor whose non-political and vaudevillian self-parody entitled "Wild and Crazy Guy" put him on Carson's show over 40 times and on Saturday Night Live over a dozen times.
- Brenda Benet: Hollywood, California -- Actress (Lee-Days of Our Lives, Beach Ball).
- Cheryl Waltz: Author / film producer.
- Steve Martin in Waco: Texas, USA; comedian-actor (The Jerk, The Man With Two Brains).
- Wim Wenders: German film director of his native Germany and the U.S.
- V-J Day; Japan surrenders unconditionally to end WWII
- (evening) US President Harry Truman announces the end of the Second World War.
- Japan accepts the Allied terms of surrender in World War II and the Emperor records the Imperial Rescript on Surrender (August 15 in Japan standard time).
- WWII: Emperor Hirohito accepts the terms of the Potsdam Declaration.
- Provisional International Civil Aviation Organization founded as a specialized agency of the United Nations.
- President José P. Laurel issues an Executive Proclamation putting an end to the Second Philippine Republic, thus putting an end to his term as President of the Philippines.
- Indonesian nationalists Soekarno and Mohammad Hatta declare the independence of the Republic of Indonesia, with Soekarno as president. Dutch colonial authorities do not approve.
- The novel ''Animal Farm'' by George Orwell is first published by Fredric Warburg in London.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1945 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Good, Good, Good (That's You-That's You) - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra
- On the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?