Friday 14 August 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to A Big Hunk O' Love by Elvis Presley.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Tingler, directed by William Castle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 14 August 1959 ?
- Paraguay - Flag Day
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of several saints: St. Eusebius of Rome
- United States - National Code talkers Day
- Pakistan - Independence Day
- RC saints - Maximilian Kolbe (Polish Franciscan priest martyred by Nazis in 1941)
- Morocco - Allegiance of Oued Eddahab or Rfo de Oro
- United States - National Creamsicles Day
- Earvin "Magic" Johnson: Michigan, United States -- NBA Forward (LA Lakers / Olympics - Gold - 92).
- Vivienne Loomis: American teenage suicide; 14 when she hanged herself in the basement of her home the evening of 12/21/1973.
- Magic Johnson: American noted athlete and professional basketball player for the L.A Lakers.
- Marcia Gay Harden: American actress.
- Frank Brickowski: American basketball player, a forward/center.
- Marcia Harden: American actress who won an Academy Award in 2001 for Best Supporting Actress in "Pollock."
- 26th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Baltimore 29, All-Stars 0 (70,000)
- AFL organized with NY, Dallas, LA, Minneapolis, Denver and Houston
- American Football League (AFL) is organized with New York, Dallas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Denver, and Houston.
- Founding and first official meeting of the American Football League.
- Explorer 6 sends the first picture of Earth from orbit.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Paul Anka - Lonely Boy
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Fabian - Tiger
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Stonewall Jackson - Waterloo
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 14 August 1959 and get them!