Thursday 14 August 1980
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Magic by Olivia Newton-John.
In UK The Winner Takes It All by Abba was in the top 5 hits.
Smokey and the Bandit II, directed by Hal Needham, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Rage Of Angels by Sidney Sheldon was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1980.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 August 1980!
Which were the important events of 14 August 1980 ?
- Paraguay - Flag Day
- St. Maximilian Kolbe
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of several saints: St. Eusebius of Rome
- United States - National Code talkers Day
- Pakistan - Independence Day
- RC saints - Maximilian Kolbe (Polish Franciscan priest martyred by Nazis in 1941)
- Morocco - Allegiance of Oued Eddahab or Rfo de Oro
- United States - National Creamsicles Day
- Michele Giuliani: Italian member of a boys band very popular in Italy in 2001, Lunapop.
- Estrella Morente: Spanish flamenco singer.
- Aydın Toscalı: Turkish footballer.
- Roy Williams: American football player.
- Dorothy Stratten: Canadian model, Playboy's Playmate of the Year for 1980 and the star of three movies.
- 17,000 workers strike in Gdansk, Poland
- Democratic Convention in NYC nominates Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale
- In Lenin Shipyard Gdansk Poland, 17,000 workers go on strike
- U.S. President Jimmy Carter defeats Senator Edward Kennedy to win renomination, at the Democratic National Convention in New York City.
- Lech Wa?esa leads strikes at the Gdansk, Poland shipyards.
- Dorothy Stratten, the 1980 Playboy Playmate of the Year is murdered by estranged husband Paul Leslie Snider, who subsequently commits suicide.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Olivia Newton-John - Magic
- Christopher Cross - Sailing
- The S.O.S. Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right) Part 1
- The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue
- Diana Ross - Upside Down
- Billy Joel - It's Still Rock And Roll To Me
- The Manhattans - Shining Star
- Elton John - Little Jeannie
- Pete Townshend - Let My Love Open The Door
- Kim Carnes - More Love
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?