Tuesday 14 February 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Calcutta by Lawrence Welk.
In UK Are You Lonesome Tonight? by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Gold of the Seven Saints, directed by Gordon Douglas, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 February 1961!
Which were the important events of 14 February 1961 ?
- Denmark - Fastelavn. Children dress up, much like Halloween in the US.
- Arizona - Admission Day (1912).
- Mexico - Day of National Mourning (1831).
- Oregon - Admission Day (1859).
- Western World - Valentine's Day.
- Iraq - 'Communist Martyrs Day' celebrated by Iraqi Communist Party.
- Europe/Catholicism - Feast day of Saints Cyril and Methodius, patron saints of Europe.
- Saint Abraham (d. 422)
- Saint Valentine (d. 422).
- Anthony Bryant: American historian and author (d. 2013).
- Daria Bignardi: Italian journalist, the host of a TV special series, "Big Brother," a true-life show based on the American contest of the same name.
- Phillip Hamilton: American author.
- Latifa: Tunisian singer.
- Wallis Clark: Actress (Easy Money), dies at 78.
- Louise Suggs wins LPGA Royal Poinciana Golf Invitational.
- Discovery of the chemical elements: Element 103, Lawrencium, is first synthesized at the University of California.
- President Kennedy warns the Soviet Union to avoid interfering with the United Nations pacification of the Congo.
- A Sabena Boeing 707 crashes near Brussels, Belgium, killing 73, including the entire United States figure skating team and several coaches.
- A total solar eclipse occurs in southern part of Europe
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra - Wonderland By Night
- Chubby Checker - Pony Time
- Lawrence Welk - Calcutta
- The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
- Ferrante and Teicher - Exodus
- The Miracles - Shop Around
- The Capris - There's A Moon Out Tonight
- Neil Sedaka - Calendar Girl
- Rosie - Angel Baby
- Brenda Lee - Emotions
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 14 February 1961 and get them!