Saturday 14 January 1961
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Wonderland By Night by Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra.
In UK Poetry In Motion by Johnny Tillotson was in the top 5 hits.
Where the Boys Are, directed by Henry Levin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 January 1961!
Which were the important events of 14 January 1961 ?
- Day of St. Basil the Great in Eastern Orthodoxy, January 1 on the Julian Calendar.
- Feast of Divina Pastora, in Barquisimeto, Venezuela.
- Makar Sankranti in India. The event is marked by flying kites. Also Pongal in South India.
- New Year's Day in Eastern Orthodoxy, see Julian Calendar.
- Festum Asinorum, medieval burlesque festival celebrating the Flight into Egypt.
- Robert Edwin Hall: Mountaineer / businessman.
- Rob Hall: New Zealand mountaineer (d. 1996).
- Mike Tramp: Danish singer-songwriter and guitarist (White Lion and Freak of Nature).
- Jean-Pascal Paubert: French Maître Sommelier and Member of the Technical Committee in charge of the contests of the International Sommelier Association.
- Chicago Bears' Willard Dewveall becomes first NFL player to join the AFL.
- US President Dwight Eisenhower signs an executive order prohibiting any person subject to the jurisdiction of the USA from holding gold abroad, with exception of gold coins of recognized collector value.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra - Wonderland By Night
- The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
- Ferrante and Teicher - Exodus
- Rosie - Angel Baby
- Bobby Vee - Rubber Ball
- Ray Peterson - Corinna, Corinna
- Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome To-Night?
- Floyd Cramer - Last Date
- Johnny Horton - North To Alaska
- Johnny Burnette - You're Sixteen
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 14 January 1961 and get them!