Friday 14 May 1948
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Robert Zemeckis and Walter Olkewicz in Bayonne.
State of the Union, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
On TV people were watching Barney Blake, Police Reporter.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1948.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 May 1948!
Which were the important events of 14 May 1948 ?
- St. Carthach the Younger
- DubsDay in Dublin Ireland (14th of May in 2006).
- Mother's Day in various countries (second Sunday of May in 2006).
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut, or Israeli Independence Day. The observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Paraguay - Flag Day.
- St. Maria Dominic Mazzarello
- St. Just
- St. Engelmer
- St. Vincent of Lerins
- St. Victor and Corona
- St. Boniface of Tarsus
- St. Michael Garicoits
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: St. Matthias (Apostle)
- St. Engelmund
- Robert Zemeckis: Director (Forrest Gump, Back to the Future).
- Walter Olkewicz in Bayonne: New Jersey, USA; actor (Last Resort, Wizards and Warriors).
- Dave LaRoche: baseball pitcher (New York Yankees).
- Raynald Denoueix: French football manager and defender who played for Nantes (1997–2001) and Real Sociedad (2002–2004).
- Dominique Pessin: French homicide, a prison chaplain found tied up and strangled to death in his Paris apartment on 7 November 2004.
- Bob Woolmer: Indian-born English expatriate sportsman, an international cricketer, professional cricket coach and also a professional commentator. He played in 19 Test matches and 6 One Day Internationals for England and later coached South Africa, Warwickshire and Pakistan.
- Timothy Stevenson: English lawyer and politician Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire
- US grants Israel de facto recognition
- WBEN (now WIVB) TV channel 4 in Buffalo, New York (CBS) begins broadcasting
- US performs atmospheric nuclear test at Enwetak.
- Israel is declared to be an independent state and a provisional government is established. Immediately after the declaration, Israel is attacked by the neighboring Arab states, triggering the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.
- The murder of a 3-year-old girl in Blackburn, England leads to the fingerprinting of more than 40,000 men in the city in an attempt to find the murderer.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?