Thursday 14 May 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Connie Brighton and Mike Quick.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to The Happy Organ by Dave Baby Cortez.
In UK A Fool Such As I / I Need Your Love Tonight by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 May 1959!
Which were the important events of 14 May 1959 ?
- St. Carthach the Younger
- DubsDay in Dublin Ireland (14th of May in 2006).
- Mother's Day in various countries (second Sunday of May in 2006).
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut, or Israeli Independence Day. The observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Paraguay - Flag Day.
- St. Maria Dominic Mazzarello
- St. Just
- St. Engelmer
- St. Vincent of Lerins
- St. Victor and Corona
- St. Boniface of Tarsus
- St. Michael Garicoits
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: St. Matthias (Apostle)
- St. Engelmund
- Connie Brighton: Wichita Falls, Texas -- Playmate (Sept, 1982).
- Mike Quick: NFL wide receiver (Philadelphia Eagles).
- Patrick Bruel: Algerian / French actor / rock vocalist (Coup of Sirocco).
- Markus Büchel: Liechtensteiner politician 9th Prime Minister of Liechtenstein (d. 2013).
- Robert Greene: American author and translator.
- Steve Hogarth: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (Marillion The Europeans and How We Live)
- John Holt: American football player (d. 2013)
- Rick Vaive: Canadian ice hockey player and coach
- Heather Wheeler: English politician
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?