Saturday 14 May 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to E.T. by Katy Perry.
Midnight in Paris, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 May 2011!
Which were the important events of 14 May 2011 ?
- St. Carthach the Younger
- DubsDay in Dublin Ireland (14th of May in 2006).
- Mother's Day in various countries (second Sunday of May in 2006).
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut, or Israeli Independence Day. The observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Paraguay - Flag Day.
- St. Maria Dominic Mazzarello
- St. Just
- St. Engelmer
- St. Vincent of Lerins
- St. Victor and Corona
- St. Boniface of Tarsus
- St. Michael Garicoits
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: St. Matthias (Apostle)
- St. Engelmund
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 14 May
- Derek Boogaard: Canadian professional hockey player (Born 1982).
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- More than 400 people fleeing Libya and Tunisia arrive on the Italian island of Lampedusa in two boats, the latest in a stream of refugees fleeing the ongoing conflicts in North Africa. (CNN)
- Muammar Gaddafi is among three Libyans facing arrest warrants from the International Criminal Court for alleged crimes against humanity including the killing of unarmed protesters, forced displacement, illegal detentions and airstrikes on civilians. (CNN)
- Opponents of the Gaddafi regime seek recognition in Europe after the United States stopped short of granting the National Transitional Council full diplomatic recognition, but the White House said it was a ampquotlegitimate and credible interlocutorampquot. (BBC)
- 2011 Syrian protests:
- 3 people are killed and others are injured as the regime shells Talkalakh, a city near the border with Lebanon injured Syrians are taken to Lebanese hospitals with at least one man reported to have died. (CNN)
- Syrian Army troops pull out of the cities of Banias and Deraa after operations to crack down on anti-government protests. (BBC)
- At least six people were killed in demonstrations yesterday, as the government promises to hold national dialogue. (Journal of Turkish Weekly)
- 2011 Yemeni protests:
- Pro-government republican guard forces attack a defected military unit near the capital Sana'a. Three soldiers are killed. (Xinhua)
- Gunmen open fire on protesters in the city of Ta'izz with 35 people being injured. (Reuters)
- 2011 Egyptian revolution:
- Two protesters are shot and 60 injured in clashes in Cairo in opposing Coptic and Muslim demonstrations, while a large explosion is reported near the tomb of a Muslim sheikh on the Sinai Peninsula. (Reuters)
- Suspected al-Qaeda militants kill six soldiers and injure five others in the town of Rada in Yemen while security forces in other cities injure three dozen anti-government protesters demanding the departure of President Ali Abdullah Saleh. (CNN)
- Six people are killed and at least 19 injured in a blast on a passenger bus in the Punjab province, Pakistan. (CNN)
- Street preachers clash with gays and lesbians during a peaceful rally to mark International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia in Adelaide, Australia. (ABC News)
- There are clashes in east Jerusalem ahead of ampquotNakba Dayampquot commemorations, with Palestinians being arrested by Israeli police. (Al Jazeera)
- Turkey requests that Israel pass on the names and addresses of the soldiers who raided a Gaza-bound flotilla, killing nine Turks last May. (AFP via Google News)
- An Indian Army soldier is killed in an exchange of fire with the Pakistan Army over the Kashmir border. (AFP via AsiaOne)
- Azeri duo Eldar Nigar win the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest in Düsseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, with the song ampquotRunning Scaredampquot. (RTÉ)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?